Major Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Receive and screen incoming telephone calls and visitors. Answer questions regarding administrative and non-technical matters, take notes and prepare memos, production requests, etc.
- Input staff members & witness travel authorizations & vouchers into the Agency’s travel system.
- Monitor authorization and voucher processing through payment system. Advise staff members on proper travel policies and procedures. Demonstrate initiative and good judgment in making arrangements on short notice.
- Prepare and type outgoing correspondence. Responsible for the format, procedural and grammatical accuracy, typographical accuracy, and any necessary attachments.
- Responsible for ensuring documents have been cleared by all appropriate staff and are procedurally correct.
- Maintain current knowledge of established procedures for the preparation and clearance of correspondence, action documents, etc., and keep staff members informed.
- Establish, organize, and maintain a variety of files in a comprehensive, easy to use manner so that contents may be easily located.
- Establish and maintain an accurate Employee Master Time and Attendance Record for each assigned employee on a bi-weekly basis.
- Ensure that each pay record is supported by appropriate documentation.
- Advise staff members on time and attendance policies and procedures.
- Ensure that data is timely and accurately submitted to the National Finance Center.
- Serve as liaison with the Human Resources Branch staff in resolving time and attendance discrepancies. Lock all Time and Attendance material in an area away from general contact with other employees.
- Arrange for documents to be copied, as well as other administrative matters in accordance with general office procedures.
- Make arrangements for meetings, examinations, and depositions, including space, time, etc., and notify people who are to attend.
- Assemble indicated background material for staff members’ use and, as required, attend to take notes and prepare detailed or summary reports of proceedings.
- Receive and read incoming mail, including correspondence, reports, and instructions. Screen out items that the incumbent is authorized to handle, and forward the rest, together with necessary background material, to the appropriate staff members working on the projects.
- Enter data into automated information systems or spreadsheets, such as Excel or Access; may require the ability to learn new systems and applications, for example Delphi or Discoverer.
- Develop and proof materials and correspondence using Word, PowerPoint, Project or Outlook; review outgoing documents for accuracy, formatting, grammar and punctuation.
- Arrange meetings, appointments, calendars and conferences, which may include the ability to use Resource Scheduler in Outlook.
- Make travel arrangements, which may include the ability to use systems such as GovTrip.
- Manage time and attendance, which may include the ability to use systems such as STAR/webTA.
- Perform advanced mail functions using Access, Word mail merge wizard, or a similar application in use at the office assigned.
Independent or Analytical Tasks
- Identify proper reports to compile, which may be financial in nature and process the reports.
- Be self-directed and able to manage multiple priorities under tight deadlines.
- Develop weekly meeting agendas and take meeting minutes.
- Use independent judgment while preparing correspondence or word processing.
- Assist management with tasks assigned concerning the budget, personnel records and payroll, and research and prepare briefing charts and other presentation materials.
- Dress and appearance shall be professional.
- Attitude shall be courteous, alert and friendly.
- Maintain confidentiality of information.
- Employees shall work eight (8) hours per day excluding thirty (30) minutes for lunch, beginning at 8:00 am or as assigned by the COR, Monday through Friday, except on Federal holidays.
- Employees are strictly prohibited from acquiring goods and services on behalf of the Government.